PageDesign

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Oooo that's Pinteresting!

If you go to my Pinterest page, you'll see I have a few boards with titles like: Projects, Things I'd Like to Make, etc. Every so often I get a whim to try something new. Why not, right? When things come with such detailed instructions, and you follow them exactly, don't you expect them to go perfectly? I do! But, sometimes, no matter how hard we try, it just doesn't seem to turn out the way we expected. That's life. (Can I get an AMEN??) So, this little story if you haven't already guessed is about a Pinterest project that didn't quite work out. I'm hoping you can learn from my mistakes! As you know from my previous post, we have been redecorating our master bedroom. With the new look, I needed new lamps! I wanted to get rid of the black and gray lamps I had for something a little lighter. I found this mercury glass lamp at Kohl's on clearance for $27! Can you believe it? Lamps this size go for almost $200 at Pottery Barn!



I was so excited to snag this deal right up. The problem was, they only had one.

But, no worries! I had an old lamp that my Granny gave me that was similar in size, and I had seen a trusty tutorial on how to turn anything into mercury glass! Win, win, win!

So, I set out on a mission to turn this...

into


















I followed the tutorial exactly.  I promise! I purchased a can of Krylon's Looking Glass Spray Paint. You can find it at your local craft store (Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc.). I even did a test run on an old mason jar I had, and it turned out ok. Not perfect, but ok.

It says to lightly spray the area with water. Check.

Next, spray a light coat of the paint onto the piece. Check. Oh, wait, the paint is starting to drip where the water is. Maybe that's ok? Maybe that's the mercury effect?? I'm going to push through.

Let dry and repeat above steps until desired results appear.

Well, after TWO CANS of spray paint (about 10 light coats), my desired results, well....left lots to be desired!






It doesn't look like Mercury Glass at all! It just looks like a poorly painted silver lamp. ARGH!

Pinterest you failed me this time. But, I still have faith you can show me the path to be a thrifty decorating genius! Just not this time my friend, not this time.

Any one else have a Pinterest project gone wrong? Please tell me I'm not the only one!

No comments:

Post a Comment