PageDesign

Friday, December 6, 2013

DIY Christmas Decorations


Tis the Season! I thought I'd do a quick post on how to make a barn wood Christmas sign, and share a link to how to make a super cute burlap Christmas tree from Made by Mags! What two things go together better than barn wood and burlap?























First I'll share how to make a Burlap Christmas Tree! Check out what Mags at Made by Mags put together here! It looks so easy and simple to make! I can't wait to add these to my Christmas collection!

Now I'll show you step-by-step how to make a barn wood sign. This is easy to make, and the best part it was FREE! I had a few scraps of barn wood left over from our wall, so I thought I'd make a vintage looking sign. The boards were already cut a perfect size, so I just went to my paint stockpile, found some red and white paint and was ready to get started!

First I had to decide which words I wanted to use on my sign. I chose Merry, Noel, Peace and Joy.  I already had letter stencils, so I pulled out my letters for my words and was ready to begin.

I painted two boards red, and set them aside to dry.

Next, I took the cut out letters from the stencil and laid them out on the non-painted boards. I tried using hairspray to hold the letters down, but the wood was too rough, so they didn't adhere like they usually do with hairspray. So, I just had to hold them in place with my hand. I painted the board white, and went over the top of each letter in order to create the stencil.


Next, I used the same white paint to stencil the words on my red pieces of wood that had dried.


At this point your sign should look like this:



Now it's time to attach your sign together. Take a scrap piece of barn wood if you have it, and cut it to the height of your sign. You will need two pieces - one for the left side and one for the right side. Find some screws or nails that will pass through both pieces of wood without popping out in front. Check your screw or nail lengths by holding it up like this:


Simply screw in four screws on each side (one in each of the sign's boards).


The last step I did is optional. I flipped my sign back over and used my orbital sander to rough it up a bit. I just wanted it to have a real vintage and distressed look to it. You could even add a glaze or wax to it to make it even more distressed.


There you have it! In a single afternoon, you can have some great Christmas decorations for your home. The final resting place for my sign actually ended up on my front porch. It's great for indoor and outdoor use.

Check back next week, because I will show you how to make wreaths and a front porch Christmas tree for FREE!

Merry Christmas!

1 comment: