PageDesign

Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Fireplace is so Delightful!


Well the weather outside might be frightful just about everywhere this week, but I have to say my fireplace is certainly delightful!

When we were discussing remodeling our living room, we debated on what to do about our fireplace. It was floor to ceiling slate tiles, and even though I would love a floor to ceiling brick fireplace that option just wasn't in our budget. We literally had about $100 to spend on all remodeling in our living room - wainscoting (see it HERE), barn wood bar wall (see it HERE), paint, and now our fireplace.


So, instead of tearing out and starting over, we did what any budget conscience DIYer would do. We went to our paint cabinet to see what we had on hand. Luckily, we had a light gray paint that would look great with the blue I had picked out for the walls and the bright white wainscoting that would be right next to it as well.

All we did to prep the surface was wipe down the tiles with a damp cloth. We grabbed paint brushes and started painting. Let me say, we had no idea if this was even going to work. We just used your everyday Behr Paint from Home Depot - water based, latex paint. We didn't even prime!

I really thought it was going to peel off, but we did our scratch test after the first coat. Guess what? That paint wasn't going anywhere!

We did two coats of grey paint, and this is what it looks like now:


Well, I guess as of today, it doesn't look like this anymore. I've taken down Christmas decorations and have started putting up a few Valentine's Day things. I've never decorated for Valentine's Day;  I usually go into a void of decorating between Christmas and Easter. This year, I thought I would jump on the Valentine's bandwagon.

How do you like to decorate for Valentine's Day? I need some good ideas for my mantel and front porch.

1 comment:

  1. How has it held up? Do you have any more pictures- I’d love to see it closer up!

    ReplyDelete